Chimpanzee trekking in Kyambura gorge in Queen Elizabeth National Park which is the second biggest National Park comprises of a rain forest and a river flowing in its heart. Accompanied by the loud shouts and laughs of chimpanzees that call you from a far distance, a hike through the gorge feels magical. The sounds and signs of chimpanzees is a wonderful experience that you will live to remember. Fortunately, the trek to see chimpanzees in Kyambura gorge is quite simple compared to the strenuous Kibale Forest National park and the nearby Kalinzu forest.
Besides chimpanzees, kyambura gorge is home to numerous primates which includes baboons, red-tailed monkeys, black and white Colubus and Vervet monkeys among others. Also, expect to see and listen to the sweet melodies of birds lie African fin foot, African fish eagle, African Kingfisher, blue-headed bee-eater and falcons among others which makes Kyambura gorge one of the birding spots in Queen Elizabeth National Park. The permanent river in this forest is a water source for most of these wild beasts.
The price of a chimpanzee trekking permit in Kyambura gorge
The price of a chimpanzee permit in Kyambura gorge costs only 50$ which is less compared to 150$ in Kibale Forest National park. Kyambura gorge is, therefore, the best chimpanzee destination for budget travelers offering you a memorable chimpanzee encounter at a relatively low rate. These permits can be booked directly from Uganda Wildlife Authority
What to expect at Kyambura gorge
A walk through Kyambura gorge involves hiking up and down hills in search for the endangered chimpanzees. The walk takes you through muddy and slippery forest grounds, which are ever wet regardless of the season plus thick and thorny bushes, it’s a jungle. You will also meet other primates especially different monkey species and hippos.
Preparing for Chimpanzee trekking in Kyambura gorge
Since you will be hiking through a thick forest, you ought to prepare enough and be ready for the jungle. The travelers are therefore reminded to do physical exercises like walking, and hiking to get ready for this vigorous trip.
Packing for a chimpanzee trekking Trip in Kyambura gorge
When packing for what to wear and pack for your chimpanzee trekking trip, you must include the following.
• One should have Hiking boots for easy movements
• One should have Long pants to protect from thick bushes
• One should have Gardening gloves to protect from hands horny and rough bushes
• One should have a Hat to protect your head
• One should have Sunglasses for your eyes
• One should have a Poncho and sweater for warmth in the cold forest
• One should have a Rain jacket in case it rains
• One should have a Hiking stick for support
One should also carry insect repellents since you will be roaming in the habitat of numerous insects.
One should carry enough drinking water, roughly 2 liters and energy-giving snacks to keep you strong during this hike.
You must also be mentally prepared to avoid disappointments.
The rules and regulations of trekking chimpanzees in Kyambura gorge
Travelers going to see chimpanzees in Kyambura gorge MUST follow the rules and regulations of trekking and they include the following:
1. One should not trek when sick – Chimpanzees are susceptible to human diseases
2. One should keep a distance of seven meters way from chimpanzees
3. One should not move alone in the forest – It has wild animals
4. One should not use flashlight cameras
5. One should not litter the forest
6. One should keep their voices low